There are lots of colour courses out there. But, very few focus on a SOLID process for where to start and how to move through colour and design decisions like I do. That’s because I invented a system to make colour easy – for EVERYONE.
Knowing how to choose the right colour (or neutral undertone) is just the beginning.
Actually learning how to pull everything together so you can create a cohesive, long-term design plan for your home or your client’s home is the real takeaway from this course. And the world could use a few more True Colour Experts like YOU!
Sharpen Your Skills With Hands-On Exercises
You’re not only going to learn secrets for making colour choices easier, your eye is going to actually be trained! Whenever I start these in-class activities, everybody leans in because they are all excited to train their eye for colour!
This training works whether you’re a designer, a colour enthusiast, or a homeowner.
Design Professionals, you’ll have the confidence to raise your rates immediately and market yourself as a colour expert. Homeowners, you’ll have the confidence to make future colour choices (avoid costly mistakes) PLUS fix the colour issues you may be living with right now.
This virtual workshop will give you the inspiration, tools, and education you need to create colour harmony in your home in a way that ACTUALLY works.
Introducing The Killam Colour System:
Day 1 is all about Learning a New Language for Colour:
- The three most powerful and effective ways to compare and describe colour, including neutrals, whites and saturated colours.
- My System for Understanding Undertones™. Walk away from confusion about the nuances of neutrals forever by learning my specific and effective new language for the 9 most common and useful undertones of neutrals.
- Why white doesn’t have to be complicated. My system reduces the overwhelming world of whites to the 4 most useful gradations of the best whites you will ever need
- You’ll also discover some colour and design history, aka, “What does knowing about past colour trends have to do with me in 2022?” A LOT actually. To work well with colour, you need to have an understanding of where we’ve been and where we are going.
- Finally, I will share my perspective as a designer. I believe that the best spaces are simple and TIMELESS so you can get off the renovation cycle and express yourself through styling and decorating.
- And YES! I will share my best tips for developing your decorating and styling skills. Because that’s where the MAGIC IS!
Day 2 is all about Making Colour Choices:
In Day 1 we established a firm foundation for comparing and describing colour. Equally important is learning the process for choosing colour in real life situations. Which elements are most important. What comes first? How to coordinate the colour of anything from tile to soft furnishings.
To create spaces that fill you with joy, you do need strategy.
- Learn to create beautifully coordinated combinations of finishes for timeless bathrooms and kitchens that are a delight to style and decorate. If you get it right, you’ll never have to renovate again because of a trendy choice with an expiry date.
- Learn the huge potential of these gorgeously simple and versatile, TIMELESS backdrops I’m teaching you to create for expressing yourself (or your client’s unique personality) with decorating and styling.
- Learn the best place to start to create perfect colour palettes for decorating any room.
- Learn how to make the best of less than ideal design situations with the most flattering colour choices. Often, you’ll get much more out of decorating and styling a room well than by fixing expensive colour mistakes.
- There are endless decorating challenges and colour problems to be solved. It all takes practice and experience! But in Day 2, you will gain invaluable insight into my own experiences and process for solving colour puzzles and decorating challenges of all kinds.
Don’t Just Take My Word For It
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your amazing class and your color system. We used your course and your color system as the foundation of our Color Consulting business.
Since the course we have performed thousands of color consultations both online and in-person. We use your digital color wheel with every consultation that we do, and again with our quality control peer review process. I even took the class again a year later to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.
I buy a set of your large color boards every year. I use them several times a day and they need a refresh from so much use. The large color boards are key to our process.
I remember thinking at the time, why you would train so many people that could one day be your competitors. The answer is easy. This is an enormous market and there is room for many color consultants to work and even support each other. And also, when you have such a super power it's a gift to share it with others.
I often find myself quoting Maria during my consultations, and tell my clients that she is my teacher. I love what I do and I’m proud to tell everyone that I am a True Color Expert.”Michelle MarcenyStudent & True Colour Expert
What is the Killam Colour System?
You’re going to learn an easier way to make the endless colour choices that come with designing or decorating a home.
Twenty years ago, a local design college asked me to teach a colour course that would actually help their students learn how to work with colour in real world design environments.
They asked me to do this because basic colour theory tells you absolutely NOTHING about HOW to coordinate neutral finishes or HOW to create a cohesive colour palette with the existing elements in your home.
I hear from experienced designers all the time who say, “Maria, I understand all elements of interior design, but I still can’t confidently choose colour.”
That’s why I came up with a precise system to help you both lock down the right neutral undertone AND harmonize colours with your furniture and decor.
Again, basic colour theory teaches you nothing about solving problems with colour.
Instead, I will show you how I approach a broad range of colour and decorating problems including how to create perfect colour flow throughout your home with real-life examples.
You’ll even learn the best way to freshen up your home when you can’t replace everything. You’ll know how to move forward with the right colour decisions NOW so that you have a long term plan for updating your home LATER.
We all know that when colour is done badly — maybe it’s because the neutral undertones clash or the saturated colours are out of balance — you’re not exactly sure why but IT JUST FEELS OFF.
Now, imagine if you had the right language for colour & the confidence to know WHY the room feels off & the exact steps to take to fix it.
That’s what you’ll learn in two days with me.
Here’s what someone in my last class said, “By using your system, I can significantly narrow down the colour options, which eliminates the overwhelm and restores the fun in selecting colour!”
Make colour FUN again. Make colour EASIER. Save your spot TODAY!
Here's What You'll Get
Two days of live training by Maria Killam, an internationally known colour expert and designer
Special colour training box (delivered to your front door) filled with tiles and fabrics, fan decks, paint chips, my colour wheel & more
Extensive workbook with useful colour principles, exercises and guidelines you can refer back to as your build your experience and train your eye
Digital versions of my Understanding Undertones® colour wheel and colour cheat sheets
BONUS: Private Access Facebook Group exclusively for Killam Colour Academy™ graduates
If you work alone and need a sounding board for the endless decisions in your design and colour consulting business, you'll find a community of true colour experts ready to collaborate with you.
BONUS: Special in-class discounts on bundled Colour Boards and other online courses
BONUS: The most UPDATED copy of BOTH my eBooks: How To Choose Paint Colours + White Is Complicated
True Colour Expert™ certification and website badge
You’ll be able to add a badge to your website and social media channels so you can promote your new True Colour Expert certification and potentially charge more for your services.
Here’s What You Get When You Take My
Specify Colour With Confidence Training:
- Hands-on activities to help you train your eye to see colour differently. You’ll participate in fully-immersive in-class exercises where you look at real rooms to help develop your eye for colour.
- My unique WowBox is delivered to your front door and filled with all the materials you need for the training including the most current Benjamin Moore paint colour fan decks.
- A workbook filled with useful colour principles, exercises and guidelines to reference both during and after class.
- Digital versions of my new Understanding Undertones colour wheel and even more useful cheat sheets.
- My two eBooks, How to Choose Paint Colours — It’s All in the Undertones and White is Complicated.
- Insider deals on my colour boards and other online courses.
- Certification as a True Colour Expert™. With this certification, you’ll receive a True Colour Expert button to display on your website and print materials.
- Access to my exclusive Killam Colour Academy Facebook page. This is PRICELESS! If you work alone and need a sounding board for the endless decisions in your design and colour consulting business, you’ll find a community of true colour experts ready to collaborate with you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Currently, we do not have any plans to do that until the pandemic is well behind us.
We rescheduled our courses twice in 2020 and then worked very hard to make it just as powerful and transformative virtually as it was in person! And the feedback we received was overwhelmingly YES.
Still a major game changer in learning a system you can’t learn anywhere else. And you’ll receive your very own box of samples to use in the exercises and keep forever.
Unlike Maria’s Exterior Colour Selection Masterclass, this is not pre-recorded. THIS IS A FULLY-IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE. Maria will lead the course live from her studio office and you can expect her to be just as high energy on your computer screen as she is in person 😉
You will be invited to a private Zoom meeting and will receive a link for the two-day online course. You will need a laptop or desktop computer with a camera to participate (the interactive experience just isn’t the same via a cell phone).
Maria loves to connect personally with her students and that means she needs to see your lovely face – so it will be MANDATORY to turn on your camera during the virtual workshop. There will also be time to interact with your fellow classmates during some of the exercises. We promise this makes it more fun!
YES!! When you complete these two days of training including all the exercises, you will SEE COLOUR DIFFERENTLY and you’ll also receive certification as a True Colour Expert™, which includes a badge for your website and social media accounts.
COMING SOON: We are also still developing some more advanced lessons (formerly known as Day 3 of the live workshop). If you are a graduate of this two-day workshop, you’ll be the first to know when The Business of Colour and The Business of eDesign are available for purchase. They both include highly focused, on-demand video lessons that you can complete at your own pace.
So, if you want to learn more about eDesign and Maria’s exact business model, you’ll have time to practice implementing all the new skills you’ve learned BEFORE you jump into the more advanced lessons. Lucky you!
This course is all NEW and completely revised to reflect where the trends are RIGHT NOW.
We are thrilled to report that the feedback we received from our first virtual event in May was the same as the live events! This course has always been a game-changer in helping you choose or specify colour for everything in your home and it still is!
Your course materials will be delivered to your door and include a fan deck, colour chips, plus fabrics and tiles so you can touch, see and feel the undertones you are learning to master.
You’ll be able to do all of this without the extra expense of travel and hotels, all from the comfort of your own home or office.
If you’re building a business – or even if you’re a homeowner who wants to learn exactly how to select the right colours for your home – then you may be unsure about whether this is the right time to spend money?
First of all, consider this training an investment rather than an expense. This is an investment that can literally save you thousands of dollars if it helps you avoid even just one design mistake on your home. It’s easy to make a costly mistake when you are a homeowner trying to make big decisions on your renovation or new build project without any guidance.
And, if you’re an interior design professional (or even in the home construction business), learning to choose colour accurately (as well as coordinating neutrals and whites) is absolutely the best investment you can make!
Not only will you carve out a niche for yourself as the go-to expert in your area, but you’ll also easily transition your clients from consult-only clients to full-on design clients, dramatically increasing your bottom line. And if you’re a homeowner, imagine how good it will feel to have the confidence you need to make decisions about finishes that you won’t regret, for a beautiful home you’ll love for years to come.
There’s really nothing that replaces a live training experience.
At the end of two days, participants are astounded with everything they have just learned and, most importantly, you’ll be getting it all in the right order. Yes, you can probably find everything for free online these days, but it won’t be in the right order. And, if it’s not in the right order with the right context, it’s far less useful.
For real colour mastery, you’ll need to join Maria live to learn all of her best practices while taking your knowledge of colour to the next level with unique skill-building exercises that Maria personally leads you through.
Can I learn this same information you cover in this training somewhere else or perhaps in a colour-training book?
The short answer is, No.
This is Maria’s own personal system she developed after performing thousands of design and colour consultations. No one else teaches these concepts, because no one else knows it!
Maria wrote her eBooks to widely share the principles of her system, and they are full of great information you can use right away. That’s why she includes them and asks that you read them prior to taking this course.
What makes Maria’s live virtual training so transformative is that you spend these two days working with real-life projects and exercises together. She will lead you through endless examples where she quizzes you, “What’s the undertone here?” and “What’s wrong with this room? How would you fix it?” Plus, this is the ONLY way to get her exclusive colour-training kit, delivered to your door, filled with cheat sheets and other surprises to help build your skills.
You will go beyond understanding colour principles to developing experience around CHOOSING colour. And you’ll leave with a level of confidence that would be hard to achieve alone, just by reading any book no matter how great it is.
If your business is struggling, you need to do something different. And, this colour training all but guarantees you’ll be able to ultimately enhance your service offerings with a niche in colour and neutrals.
When your customers and clients can see and feel your confidence, your business increases exponentially. We’ve seen it countless times with True Colour Expert graduates. You can command higher rates and work with your ideal clients (who not only pay you happily but also really listen to – and heed – your advice).
The short answer is NO.
This is my own personal system, developed after conducting thousands of colour and design consultations. You won’t find this training anywhere else in the world.
Also, you’ll notice that all the colour training you’ve had to date is colour theory which is primarily about combining colours. This workshop is strictly “Here’s how you do it in the real world, right now”.